Affiliate Program for App Developers
Important Update – New Affiliate Platform
Please be aware that changes to the Affiliate Program have recently been made. There is a new affiliate platform. To learn more about the new platform on PHG please visit the PHG frequently asked questions
The affiliate program provides a unique way for your app to interface with iTunes, the App Store, the iBooks Store, and Mac App Store to link to millions of songs, thousands of apps, Hollywood movies to rent or buy, TV shows, music videos, games, ebooks, audiobooks, and free podcasts. You too can be part of the excitement by joining the affiliate program.
- Make Money: As an affiliate, you can earn commissions on all qualifying revenue generated by links to the App Store, Mac App Store, iBooks Store and iTunes.
- Enhance Your App: In addition to generating commissions, you can add valuable and compelling content to your app and make it easy for your customers to find music, other apps, TV shows, movies, audiobooks, and more.
- Stay in the Know: Our affiliate resource website will keep you up to date on new tools, special promotions, and other resources. Check it out at http://www.apple.com/itunes/affiliates/resources.
The sky is the limit when you combine creativity, your app, and the App Store and Mac App Store Affiliate Program. Among the great implementations of the program are discovery apps, which help users learn about new music, artists, movies, TV shows, and even other apps. The affiliate program is also a good fit for apps that explore any of the content areas inside the store. Do you have an app that showcases a certain city? Use the affiliate program to link to artists performing at local venues or to movies playing at local theaters. We encourage you to integrate affiliate links in appropriate ways that add value to your app and its users.
We have two affiliate platforms that covers the US, Canada, Mexico, Russia, Turkey, Japan, Europe, Latin America and more. These affiliate platforms provide the technological interface that enables affiliates to access links, track performance, and get paid. Joining is easy. Get started by following the steps below:
- Join the program: Signing up for the affiliate program is quick and easy. Apply at https://affiliate.itunes.apple.com/apply
- Create Links: For you to earn commissions, links must contain your unique affiliate tracking code. To properly code affiliate links, log into your affiliate platform account and access our Link Maker tool, an RSS feed generator, artwork, or other tools. If you have a large number of links to create, you should use one of our advanced linking solutions—the Search API or the EPF data feed. Make sure to carefully create and test your links to ensure that they function properly.
Types of Links
- Link Maker: The Link Maker tool allows you to create affiliate links to most content available in iTunes, the App Store or Mac App Store. You can access this tool via your affiliate network.
- RSS Feed Generator: Use the RSS feeds to incorporate lists for top music releases, apps, or TV episodes. You can add these to your website using a standard RSS feed reader.
- Widget Builder: The Widget Builder allows you to easily create interactive widgets for your website or blog. You can access this tool via your affiliate network.
- Affiliate Tools: A variety of advanced tools are available to help technically savvy partners create links to iTunes, App Store and Mac App Store. These include a Search API, an Enterprise Partner Feed that provides advanced data feed for the whole store and a Web iMix tool that can be used to create a dynamic playlist.
Reporting and Tracking
Each affiliate platform offers a variety of reporting options for affiliates through its dashboard. To maximize sales, spend time to get to know the reporting system for your affiliate network. Tools are available that allow you to code clicks and sales by link placement or campaign. However, please note that SKU-level sales reporting is not currently available with the affiliate program.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if my application to join the affiliate program is denied?
If you feel that your app was inappropriately denied, you can appeal by going to the helpdesk.
Can app developers from outside the United States join?
Yes, there are currently affiliate programs in many countries around the world administered by the two affiliate platforms. We encourage developers from anywhere to apply but only accept those that have significant traffic in a country where there is an affiliate program.
Can I apply to more than one region’s program?
Yes. If your app sees traffic from multiple countries where our affiliate program exists, we encourage you to join more than one program. However, it is important to know that a single link often will not work for multiple countries. Links vary for each iTunes Store because rights to the content often vary by country.
Are all app publishers automatically approved to be affiliates?
No, app publishers have to go through the same approval process as websites.
Is there an API?
Yes. It is known as the Search API. Further information can be found on the Search API page in iTunes & App Store Resources site.